spring_greetings photo springgreetings.gif

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Teaser Tuesday ~ When your Parent becomes your Child


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along, so I thought I would play for fun! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! 


 Caring for someone with dementia or Alzheimer's takes a ghastly toll on even the best family relationships.

~taken from p. 132 of When Your Parent Becomes your Child by Ken Abraham




How is is possible to lose a loved one while he or she is still living, still sitting right in front of you, talking with you, smiling at you-and yet the person you have known and loved for years is somehow gone?  You observe the subtle quirks and idiosyncrasies that are occurring with ever-increasing frequency, yet you are oblivious to the truth-that you are not dealing with the obstinacies or unintentional offenses of an elderly person; you are facing a devastating disease and posses few tools with which to fight it. 


books

3 comments:

The Readdicts said...

Aww! That's a thoughtful and really good teaser.

Here's my Teaser Tuesday post

Happy New Year and happy reading! :D

Sarika @ The Readdicts

Unknown said...

Great suggestion, sounds like a great book and I think I'll have to check it out. My thoughts are with anyone who has a parent or parents with dementia. My mother was diagnosed with dementia and although it wasn't a complete shock to us, because we knew something was wrong, it rocked our worlds. Ever since her diagnosis my siblings, father and I have been trying to read all we can about it and how other people are dealing with it. I just finished a great book that I'd like to recommend to anyone else going through this same ordeal; it's called "I Will Never Forget" by Elaine C. Pereira. You can check her and the book out on her website http://elainecpereira.authorsxpress.com/. It was a really great read. Thanks for this post!

apple blossom said...

thanks Marie for the book suggestion. I'm checking into it. We are going through this with my dad so us kids are learning and want to get information thanks.